Monday 14 March 2011

14. Running outta titles!


 Right, you should know the drill by now! Last week I had another portfolio tutorial with Louise and it went really well, we discussed what ones out of the images I’d chosen so far should go where and talked about my ideas for the general flow of it. She also gave me an idea of what other images should go in and Chris Arran while passing also took an interest in my work and some time to help us out which was really nice and it’s always good to have more than one opinion. She also explained what images could be improved and how, I think I will take some time to colour my line work and she also encouraged me to get in the print room for one of my images. This is something I’ve been reluctant to have a another go at since I wasn’t terribly good at it in first year, and where it’s a bit initially complicated and fiddly I guess my attention span failed me. I’ll need to literally re-learn everything but I’m quite eager to get in there now so I’m planning to do that next week.

     Also this week we had a CV Workshop with Alexandra. Unfortunately we weren’t told we would need to bring our CV’s. In a way it was probably a bit obvious and I could have done just in case, but I assumed we’d be seeing examples, taking notes, etc. It was more like a crit and advice of our existing ones. A lot of people made the same assumption as me though as only two or three people had theirs.  It was useful to see some though and I took some notes, we also saw some examples that Alexandra had been sent including some really elaborate ones, which were really cool. We then used the rest of the time to share our blogs and discuss how the were going. This was alright, it’s always good to know how to improve and to see what others are up to, but maybe we’d benefit more from one to ones ‘cause that’d also be a bit of a timesaver when we’ve got so much else on!  She did suggest that though so hopefully next time. Either way I’m planning on getting my CV together a bit before then, judging by what I’ve seen it’s a bit of a nightmare at the minute!

    

     I went down to Brick Lane this weekend with these rascals as I’ve been corresponding with Andreja from East Gallery, who gave me the awesome news that we can hire it for a week in early July for £1200! Which is the same as the Gallery near Goodge Street but a much nicer space and in a much better location. I did discover that it would be nearly £250 more for gallery staff but I think as they will also promote us on their website, put us on their mailing list AND as our private view is on the first Thursday of the month we’ll even have exposure from Time Out’s ‘First Thursdays’ which you can check out here. Well stoked about that! So I paid the deposit (which was 30% of the total). It’s so busy down there with the market on, there were people having a gander at the current exhibition, which is really encouraging. Going back to the issue of gallery staff, I know I’ll be moving to London in July and I know there will be other students moving there/back there, so perhaps if a few of us were happy to take a day or two out of frantically searching for a job, we could even staff it ourselves. Great experience and a decent thing to have on a CV! I don’t think they handle sales either, so it would be a better way to make money. There’s still a lot to organize but everybody’s getting really enthusiastic which is awesome, I think I’ll plan a meeting next week to discuss raising some more money, cause there’s definitely a lot to do on that front! Talking of which, my next ones coming up and the posters now finished!  Second year Dan Murphy did it for us and I’ll be getting it printed up nicely this week and sticking it all about town. Here is it!


       Also, while I was down Brick Lane I saw some cool David Shrigley stuff in Rough Trade Records. There was his book, ‘What the hell are you doing?’ (Shrigley, 2010) which I’m definitely going to have to get my hands on online! I like Shrigley's work because his drawings are very simple and childlike and his commentry is funny, and above all pretty silly. By the till there were packs of badges and guitar picks illustrated/written on by him. Guitar picks by artists is a less common one and I thought it was a nice idea. He had even signed the wall, along with other famous people like The Slits! Groooooovy. Here they are anyway, the book next to it was pretty cool too, but unfortunately too expensive for me today! It's called Bukowski on Bukowski, (Bukowski, 1998) and I really liked some of the drawings.


  I’ve been doing some sketches from the 50’s sourcebook I got from the library, whilst listening to the awesome CD Jonny made me. As proposed in my last entry I did a mock up page and coloured it in both pencil and half-tone. As expected I STILL couldn’t decide what approach to use. After seeking advice from other students/tutors I ended up trying a mixture of both. I did one with foreground/background in opposing finishes and also block Photoshop colour opposing half-tone on background and foreground. I’ll post them below, I have ones, which I prefer- I didn’t really like the block colour ones. Even so I’ve still not decided! I think I should definitely move on and steam through my layouts this week and come back to it (and I’ll do the pencil swatches I mentioned if I do decide to use that approach, also I’ll have to invest in some more decent pencils). I have some nice paper for my layouts now too, no more bleeding ink!
 

and here’s a little summary of what I’ve gotta get through next week:

Ø  Layouts for FMP
Ø  Screen printing and more progress on Portfolio
Ø  Update this bad boy again
Ø  Upload more pictures and edit my website
Ø  Slightly unrelated, but I need to finish that webcomic
Ø  It’s time to choose and prep our catalogue images!
Ø  I also want to look in to getting some business cards printed, could be jumping the gun a bit though.
Ø  Work on my appalling CV
Ø  Promote my event, and arrange a meeting for the LDN Show geezers.

So quite a bit! Anyway I’ve gotta go ‘cause me trains nearly in and I’m off to a course representative meeting this afternoon, a good opportunity to give some feedback on the course and I hear there may be some feeding involved… heh heh.

Laters potaters,
Quim out!

No comments:

Post a Comment