Thursday 24 March 2011

16. I know it's not like me to be late but...

Greetings loyal blog visitor! This is a post I typed up Sunday but only just got 'round to Posting all with pretty pictures and whatnot.
Anyways, hold on to yer hats and hairpieces folks ‘cause I’m gonna shake things up a bit this week and talk about the progress of my project first. At the end of last week I decided to stop puzzling over my media and steam through my layouts, which I have now done. Here’s a little picture of what that looks like: (...Apparently blogspot has decided that my image shall reside to the left of this paragraph rather than below it)

      There are 20 pages in this book of Bristol board, which is conveniently the exact amount I needed. I then proceeded with my cover, which I planned out on these lowly scraps of cartridge paper a number of times first. Naturally though I still managed to screw it up so I’ll be getting some more Bristol board to rectify that. This is the cover I did below, one of the reasons I don’t like it is because for some reason I decided I’d outline the smoke? Which looks really odd. The other reasons I can’t really put my finger on but I’m gonna take this one ‘back to the drawing board’ so to speak. I thought maybe it just needs colouring to look good, but surely if an image needs that it can’t be very strong to begin with.



      On the Tuesday of this week I had a tutorial with Jonny, he told me which colouring method he likes best but I’m still undecided… Most people and tutors have advised I do use half-tone, and I can’t help but feel reluctant for some reason. I think it’s probably just because I’m not very comfortable with it, and think it may prove very time consuming, especially given the time frame I now have. He also looked at my possible catalogue images and we both agreed that I should use a spread from my last book for one of the pages. I don’t think he was blown away by any of my other images though, but I decided I’d just pick which I think represents me best. I later chose these two images and prepared them in line with the specified requirements:



Also on Thursday this week we had bookbinding workshop, which I’d completely forgotten about! I’d been really looking forward to it too so I was pleased to have that, although I had said I’d help on the art stall that day! There were plenty of people helping out though so it was okay.  Bookbinding was really fun and useful and we made 8 different kinds of book! I found some books would be more useful than others and to my surprise (as I am quite clumsy) I found it quite easy to do too. Well, to a point. I did struggle a little with the hardback book and although I managed mine was rather wonky. A brilliant skill to possess though and I intend to keep in practice.


In our break from bookbinding, I popped down to the art sale to see how it was going, I brought a rather elaborate human sandwich board in the shape of Zain, I’m not sure if he encouraged customers or frightened them though. The stall looked great and I bought a couple of little wicked little books made by fellow students (and managed to put away a couple of rather tasy cakes). but by lunchtime we’d only made about £20, it really picked up though and by the end of the day we’d made over £100 for the degree show!





On Friday we had a lecture with Graham Rawle, which was really good. I enjoyed his ‘lost consonants’ work and also his 'Niff actuals' which are basically just useless products, I thought it was really funny and quirky! The rest of his work was quite different and very literature based but as I am interested in narrative and storytelling it was really interesting to see such an original approach to illustrative storytelling. Here's his website. After the lecture I had arranged a meeting regarding the London show. The turn out was pretty good this time and I basically just wanted to push the importance of fundraising, as we need about £2500 yet! Hopefully everybody now understands that everybody needs to put on nights and chip in else realistically it just won’t happen. There are now three or four groups of people planning nights or sales so hopefully we’ll get there. Talking of night’s mines coming up, so I’ve been busy postering!

After that, I finally managed to get in the print room and Charles was very kind to take some time to re-teach me how to screen print. It was late in the day so I managed to prepare my image but I need to return next week to actually print it. I took my image, which I had printed in A3 and I then took two sheets of A3 acetate and chose which bits I wanted in each colour. After drawing these out in ink (and waiting for them to dry, which took AGES! Next time I’ll use a bloody marker pen) Charles took me to the photocopier. He showed me how to create a sort of two-colour mock up in order to see what colours I would like. This was reeeally beneficial ‘cause after printing it out I saw all the flaws and was able to rectify them before actually printing it. Charles then kindly prepared me a screen and instructed me to return at 10am Monday. I realised yesterday though that I have work in progress Monday morning and a London trip Tuesday so hopefully it will be okay to do it Wednesday. Here’s some pictures of my acetates and mock ups anyway, I’ll probably use this image as the last page in my portfolio if it comes up well.


  
      Anyway I think that’s it! As I’ve mentioned I have a WIP with Pete Monday, and London trip Tuesday. We’re going to an exhibition called, ‘Pick me up’ at Somerset house, which should be good. I also need to complete my scree print and really get on my final images for the project. Also it’s the fundraiser next Saturday!! So got a bit more to do regarding that.

Thanks again for reading,
Quim out!

No comments:

Post a Comment