Sunday 15 May 2011

26. Conclusion.


ENCORE, ENCORE!!!! Oh, well… If you insist!! I’m back for one last post, to talk briefly about how I feel my project -including this blog, has gone. I’ll also talk a little about the future! (Arrrrgh!!)

Generally, I think my final product as turned out really well (Judging from the sample at least!) However, I’d be a big fat liar if I said it’d gone completely smoothly! I have a slight concern that with bookmaking, I’m never left with a very impressive amount of support work! The final images take so long to produce that I often find it lacking, I have a big pile of original images, which went in to making my book that is probably the equivalent of another sketchbook, but alas it is not. I can only hope that people understand that this is often just the case when it comes to making a book. Despite that, I think my biggest problems are indecision and poor time management, and I think it is very easy to underestimate the amount of work (and expense!) that has to go in to actually self-producing a whole book. In a more positive light though, I managed to not encounter the barrage of problems I did with my last book, so it’s a good feeling to be able to say that I’ve learn a lot from my mistakes (apart from the indecisiveness and time managing issues which I’ve mentioned, but I think those things are more like elements of my personality which need broaching). I’ve also discovered that I’d like to get out of my comfort zone more and get better at Photoshop. After having taken time to think about our CV’s, I’ve realized what a good skill it is to possess, especially as an aspiring illustrator, and at the moment I’m not really confident enough to boast experience in it. I’ve learnt how to use half tone fairly well though, and I’ve also learnt to never leave a page blank! Most importantly I’ve learnt how much I can actually achieve in a day when I put my mind to it, and how important it is to leave enough time so that I don’t HAVE to do that much in a single day, ‘cause it gives you a headache!!

 As for the blog- I’ve resented it at times when I’ve got so much else to do in regards to my book, (and at times it’s been VERY annoying as a website) but generally I’ve quite enjoyed keeping it! I like to write, and it’s a good way to vent and get things clear in your own head; it allows you to see what you’ve achieved and what’s left to tackle. I also think that regularly updating my blog is the first sign of improvement when it comes to my time management, god knows how I’d have pulled this off if I’d left it to the last minute!! I also have to thank the presentation document for the fact that I now have a half decent CV, weeks before uni ends. It’s something (blogging) that I could even see myself keeping up with (work based, obviously, I wouldn’t be banging on about my day or anything uninteresting and self-indulgent like that) but I think it’s a good incentive to keep working too, and it’s always a good idea to gather a bit of web presence.

Before I leave you in peace, I’ll take a little time (I won’t bore you, I don’t even have any nice pictures to break it up a little this time) to discuss what’s next for the Quimster. In the immediate future, it’s the degree show, which I’m really excited about! I can’t wait to get my instillation set up, to finish my portfolio and to print my other book. After that we’ll be taking it up to London – and that’s not the only thing going to London! I’m moving up at the start of July, obviously I’ll need a job... but for now, and in true Kim style- that’s where my plan ends. But watch this space!! ‘cause it’s not over yet!

Once again, what a pleasure it’s been…
Quim – Over and out??

No comments:

Post a Comment