Saturday 2 April 2011

18. (What Seems Like) Entry 7,984 or Something.

Greetin’s! Well, it’s been a full week since the Fundraiser and my voice is FINALLY showing signs of returning today. I’m hoping to rope somebody else in to being the one who has to sit next to the speakers and shout “IT’S THREE POUNDS FIFTY TONIGHT!!!” to everybody that walks in next time!

Anyway, the last week of term has been focused heavily on degree show preparation, fundraising and of course- the end of year catalogue.
I’ve been really pleased to hear this week that Jonny is organizing a fundraiser for which he needs help from third years and also that another couple of people have booked out a venue for a club night to raise money. There’s also word of a couple more events by various people in the pipes so things are really looking up! Jonny also wanted people to volunteer themselves concerning certain aspects of the Southampton show and also for everything regarding the London one. As I’ve been very busy with fundraising already and am a little behind on my schedule for the FMP I bowed out of much more responsibility for the Southampton show but am of course on the front line for things regarding the London one, as I’ve booked the space, etc. This is something we’ll need to get stuck in to soon as we have all sorts to think about from boards to transport and staffing the gallery! Other than all that, the most significant happening of this week has been the production of our Catalogue image and also our group and singular photo-shoot for the Catalogue.

As I’ve mentioned before the idea for our Catalogue cover is to re-create our own ‘wall of wonder’, which is basically just a representation of who we are and involves us lot getting together and covering a blank wall in the studio with our own work and/or work by others which inspires us to be creative. On Thursday we all gathered in the studio to cover the wall, which would later be photographed. I thought that it might be best just to have our own work up, as it would be more original and representational of us. Plus if somebody saw something they recognized they may then not realize that some of it’s our own work and think it’s just a collage of found things, which could be seen as a bit lazy or a cop out and not very creative. Also I don’t know how all that copyrighting stuff works with stuff like this… but either way I decided to just put my own work up. So see if you can spot it! Here are some pictures of people slapping some stuff up on the wall, or in Mike’s case lurking ominously around the wall.




In case ya didn’t spot ‘em these are mine:


I went for my recent screen print ‘cause it’s bright and attention grabbing and I couldn’t resist sneaking in something a bit more dark and gory at the bottom. Most will be please to know that I did manage to resist integrating any penises on the wall. (It’s people’s mothers I’m thinking of).  Here’s a couple of the wall a bit more finished:


                                                  

There are a few white spaces and my opinion on using the work of other artists aside, I think it looks pretty good and I’m glad that we found a method that everybody could agree on which gives everybody the opportunity to contribute to. And after that we had our group photoshoot!


                                          

It was pretty haphazard and we all had to cram around the studio table but it was a laugh and I’m looking forward to seeing it. I can’t say the same for the individual ones though; I thought we’d get to choose our own like last year did! Instead Rosie took it in the photography room with a bunch of people watching and making me laugh, and I haven’t seen the result. I’m extremely UNphotogenic and will probably inexplicably end up looking like this guy...

                                                               
Ho ho. Anyway, also this week I’ve started my drawings! They’re going well but are pretty hard to photograph as they’re in light pencil, so you’ll just have to take my word for it for now.
Right! I’m off to Portugal for the week tomorra so I’ll catch up soon…

Adeus! Quim out.

No comments:

Post a Comment