Tuesday 25 January 2011

2. About me

‘ello! So now I've explained what the hell this is all about, I'll tell you a little bit about myself.
I’m Kim Hawkes, but my friends call me ‘Quim’, this is because a while back I changed my name on ‘Facebook’ from Kim to Quim to amuse myself, because it rhymes and it’s a rude word for lady bits. And it confuses my mum. This is for the simple reason that I have very immature sense of humour. When it comes to Illustration, that’s a big part of what it means to me- it’s about having a laugh. My main goal when I draw something is to be silly or disgusting (often both) and ultimately to make myself laugh, and if somebody else finds it amusing then that’s awesome. Why take things so seriously?

    
     My passion is sequential narrative, I tried my hand at animation for a bit but I wasn’t awfully good at it. I think it’s because firstly technical drawing isn’t really my strong point, and secondly that I found it quite restrictive creatively at the beginning, and that I’m quite excitable and often a little impatient. Luckily for me I do personally ‘like things rough’ (ho ho. That’s definitely not funny is it?) when it comes to drawing. I believe that things often look better, and funnier, when done quickly with energy and even a bit (technically) ‘wrong’. I love comic books and my favourite Illustrator is Jamie Hewlett, in particular the ‘Tank Girl’ series for a number of reasons; firstly and obviously the artwork is stunning. Secondly, the humour and wit in the writing is brilliant, and I believe that a good sense of humour is imperative (for keeping my attention at least). I also thoroughly admire writer Alan Martin’s theory on creating a good comic book which is; “Never start with a clear idea of storyline. Instead, commence blindly, with a vague notion of trying to include a reference to your favourite band, gift shop, or chocolate bar.” (Martin, 1990, p6.)

I think this will become clear over the discourse of my ramblings.

Goodbye for now and thanks for reading,
Quim out!

No comments:

Post a Comment