Saturday 19 February 2011

9. Wot I've been doin' since last time.

Hello! Okay so this week I had my portfolio tutorial with Louise, which was helpful and enjoyable. Since I’ve been collecting all my work together for web presence I’ve been really looking forward to getting a portfolio together. We decided that A3 would be the best size as opposed to A4, which I had been considering before. She gave me an idea of what things should go in and things that perhaps shouldn’t, also an idea of how many pages and what sort of order and flow. I now have to buy a portfolio, decide on what images are definitely going in and do some editing/mounting. I have a couple of weeks before the next portfolio meeting so I want that done by then so I can make any necessary changes that would improve it afterwards.

     After the tutorial I met the girl who I’m doing a comic for, we talked through it and its 2 A4 pages and she will provide the story but I can make any changes. It shouldn’t be a huge job and I am looking forward to doing it but there’s also so much else to think about at the moment! A good thing about it though is that it should get a lot of exposure. I was disappointed to see the Mark Wigan lecture was cancelled. I’ve also been getting stuck in to contacting galleries about the London show; I’m determined for it to happen as I think it’d be a great opportunity and a lot of fun. The best offer I’ve had so far is from a gallery in central London. They will have our show for a week in June or July for only £1,188 but there’s still a lot to consider and organize, so next week we will all need to speak about funds and fundraising.

     Now for the FMP; Still cracking on with my character development however I'm a little behind ad what I’ve been concentrating on the most is the self-promo project. After spending a lot of time thinking of about it, I decided that I would use some images I’ve already produced in the context of a simple two-page booklet. After going through my images I chose a bold and bright piece for an attention-grabbing cover, inside I have two of my favourite pages from my last comic: ‘Keth the Manosaur’ and on the back I have another arresting image with my contact information overlaid. I went for colour in the end, as even though I did think it would prove slightly less economical- that was when I thought it would be a longer document, and colour definitely represents me better. I think that this document is a good way to represent my ability to produce a good image, but also my passion for narrative imagery. I will now have to print these on a decent printer and slightly thicker paper, double sided (which should be a lot easier this time given it’s only one sheet!)

Front and back covers.

Inside.



     I also thought about the envelope as that’s the first thing they’d see. The envelope would be A5 as the work itself is a folded piece of A4. I think manila would be better than white, as white is too boring and crisp. I would like a stamp reading ‘Quim Illustration’ although I’m not sure I can afford a custom made one! Instead I might experiment with making one from rubber, polystyrene or foam. I will use fake blood to stamp this on. I had debated using brown or white ink instead to look like other bodily fluids…) Instead I think I will just smear this on as stains. I also messed around with drawing pictures on the envelope but then thought it would be best if I could print images on to it. I tried this on my home printer and it actually worked really well. I now have two or three images I intend to print on to the envelope in varying sizes. I will produce the final envelopes once I have made a stamp.

Front.

Back.

     Next week I will be finishing my self-promo and my character development for the FMP, also starting some media experimentation for it. I will also be working on my website and thinking more about my portfolio. I also have to job of working on the web comic and getting the ball rolling for the London show and fundraising!

Ta for reading,

Quim out!

(I'm also thinking of transferring all of this over to Tumblr because Blogspot seems to have a mind of it's own! Very frustrating.)

No comments:

Post a Comment